Post by powerwriter on Jan 5, 2009 11:27:11 GMT -5
OK. Maybe you all are as "challenged" at all this as I am. But here's my question. I attempted an upgrade from 1.3 to the current 1.8.2. All went well except I lost my template. The posts and all else appeared to be there. So, I reverted back to 1.3 for now.
The obvious question is this: How can I do the upgrade and keep my template intact?
Any help from a knowledgeable soul is appreciated.
Could you perhaps be a little more specific on what "lost the template" means? I never used a version as old as 1.3, but if it uses the same templating methodology as current, you could copy the template code to a text file, upgrade, and paste the template code back into the configuration if it was lost during the upgrade.
Looking at your blog, it appears that we both started off with a similar template (you can see mine at www.marlinnut.com/mblog/). Assuming you have the code for your current template, it's really just a matter of playing cut and paste with the various templates (primarily header, footer and sidebar) to bracket the required Greymatter tags with your own code to have them display the way you want.
Post by powerwriter on Jan 6, 2009 18:30:49 GMT -5
I tried to put my current template in the configuration part of 1.8.2 but it's totally different and I can't figure it out. I can easily drop the template into gm-templates.cgi. I don't know what that would do. But the new configuration doesn't use header, footer and side bars, etc as the version I'm currently using. If it did, I'd have no problem at all.
Post by powerwriter on Jan 6, 2009 19:05:12 GMT -5
OK. I dropped all of the template configuration from 1.3 into 1.8.2 and everything seemed to look fine, BUT, there was no space between paragraphs. So, I went back to 1.3 for now. I also dropped the 1.3 config into the gm.template.cgi and my template looked just as it did. The only difference I saw on first glance is that the text was just one long gob and not nice paragraphs.
If you take a 1.3 template file, it will not work with 1.8 or even anything after 1.3.1.
The reason is that the template file format changed at that time. Now each line begins with a condensed name of the template. In the file it will appear as one long line, but it should look correct on the website, if the html is formatted correctly.