Has anyone had any success getting this PHP-based RSS generator to work in Google Reader? I've hacked it a bit to get it to output a valid RSS 0.92 feed that works great in both my standalone RSS Reader (NetNewsWire Lite) and Firefox's "Live Bookmarks" feature, but Google Reader chokes on it saying "An error has occurred because the feed being requested cannot be found". I have the feeling it is because the file has a .php extension, but I'm not a php expert by any means.
Post by scottlindberg on Oct 16, 2008 19:57:00 GMT -5
The php is written to dynamically output a .rss file ... that's why it has the .php extension. Otherwise my server wouldn't parse it as php. I think that's the crux of the issue. It seems to work pretty much across the board in stabdalone readers as well as Yahoo. For some reason Google's service just won't recognize it. I think for the time being I may just have to live with that.
Post by scottlindberg on Oct 16, 2008 21:48:29 GMT -5
I just installed Pete's gm-rss so I could check it out. Unfortunately my host doesn't have all the Perl modules required installed, but I did a local installation of the modules and it seems to be working great. Everything looks perfect, and it outputs an rss feed that validates.
But still I can't get the feed to show up in Google Reader. It still tells me "Your search did not match any feeds" when I try to add the subscription. Frustrating, but I'm starting to think it isn't something wrong on the script's end ... it's more than likely a Google problem. I'm going to email them and see what I can't find out.